! Come and get it .. It's here! --- BETA-01

for the first BETA of Project-Trident
this is the link —> http://pkg.project-trident.org/iso/release/

For bugs, WiFi is NOT working at the moment, read this arricle
http://www.project-trident.org/information/opensource/

Open Source :: Project Trident
Description of all sources and how to submit changes

Just a helpful note since I honestly think a lot of people, out of excitement, will just try installing it and not read too much about it:

On telegram I believe it was stated not to use it to upgrade from 18.03. It has to be a fresh install at the moment.

18.03 is the latest desktop offering for trueos/Trident.

There IS an upgrade path from trueos to Trident.

18.03 is stable and working, though ho updates since March/April timeframe.

Pick what you think is best fro you

How do you utilize the Trident-x64-20180831.iso.sha512?

Opening it I get:

because it is a binary file. The Trident-x64-20180831.iso.md5 is also a binary file.
Unfortunately this was the result of the download:
TridentDnld2018-09-01-16-32-29
In which way did you verify a successful download of the Trident-x64-20180831.iso? Is there a special procedure to use the binary checksum-files?

BITCH about Trident-Beta HERE

Here’s an article that explains checking MD5 on FreeBSD. It’s towards the bottom of it.

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/it-security/use-md5-hashes-to-verify-software-downloads/

Thank you for your reply @tqfs!
I don’t have a problem entering a command like sha512 since there is a man page for it. Typically there is a checksum-file close to the content which is offered for download. Like for example FreeBSD-11.2 with its checksum-file:

where it’s easy to compare the calculated result of the downloaded file with the given checksums. I don’t know how to use the binary .sha512 or .md5 files.

I’m prettty sure the .sha512 file is broken. I get the same crap displayed. Also, compared to the ones (which display a proper string in a text editor, not such crap) of a trueos image it’s much to big.

[Edit]
I just realized with TrueOS they used .sha256 files but with Trident they use .sha512 files. So my comment above is not relevant.
[/Edit]

Take the .md5 file, that should work.

Also: If the download process states that the downloaded file has a different size than it should have there’s no need to check againstmd5 or sha512 - it surely will differ.
Redownload or force the downloading program to actually finish the download.

Not working for me. Mouse is found during booting/loading but not working when the gui comes up. Apparently that’s not unusual as one today’s (Sep 1st) builds seems to address this problem. And a later build being build right now addresses the wifi problem.

So, better waiting some more.

Also, the iso file isn’t suitable for usb “imaging” - at least it crashes windows when done or the stick is at anytime inserted afterwards. Apparently the MBR get’s screwed when processed like the img files of trueos (using win32 Diskimager). I’ll try converting the iso to img - maybe that helps.

[Edit]
I tried the (then current) “stage” iso. Didn’t work for me either. Converting to img didn’t help with the problem with using it as image for thumb drive under windows and the mouse still wouldn’t work. But I’m not sure if it was build 132 or 133. Only having the date in the file name is not enough if there is more than one build per day and if their building period span across two (or more) days/dates.

So I’ll be waiting for another build and hope that once there is a stable routine they’ll have the time to release an .img image as well.
As a matter of fact I could try the current “stage” iso as the current one (build 135, I guess) is newer than the one I tried the second time.
[/Edit]

BETA-02 is out now

Thank you for your input @to-user!

To experiment with the first Beta looks interesting and I will try again. Of course if the developers publish a new release, the Beta1 will be abandoned. Missing WiFi is no problem with my amd64 hardware since it is wired and iso images get burned to a CD or DVD with me. :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: Yes, a second download was necessary. The md5 hash was correct and now I have a fresh DVD with Project-Trident Beta1 iso.

I burned the iso to DVD-RW, as well, but it boots/runs awfully slowly and I don’t want to waste a DVD-R on a beta.
I wish they could go back to the isos they produced during the pc-bsd times where there was no need for separate .img files to use for thumb drives.

did you even try burning to USB? :wink:

FreeBSD went back to that sometime this year. ISO is for either, again

I can at least confirm that the ISO image does burn and boot to a USB stick.

been burning to USB since the Alpha releases.

glad it’s working for you

Maybe my posts were not clear enough to understand. Also, I don’t understand the smiley in @RodMyers post. So I don’t know if he’s joking or seriously asking - because the question is already answered in the posts after which he responded.

I can produce a booting thumb drive using the iso - and the resulting “install drive” is booting “and everything”). But whenever that thumb drive is plugged in while windows is running (or even when the original “writing process” is finished) the system immediately shuts down. And reformatting using gparted (live linux) is not (!) enough. I have to delete the mbr of that drive to make it not crash windows anymore.

That behavior is even true if I write the iso to the drive using dd under trueos. When plugged into my running windows it shuts down within a second. Never happened with any TrueOS img file or any pcbsd iso file before. I have to test again with a trueos img file to check if the windows system “has changed”.

Using dd on trueos and trident build 135 (I guess) didn’t produce a correctly booting thumb drive. Some files were missing, on a re-try (dd again) other files were missing. So that way is less reliable for me. Or the “stage” iso has some bugs.

I’ll keep testing - and reporting.

this is the new FreeBSD hybrid setup.

does windos know about zfs? if not, then crash is possible. Has not happened on a linux machine I had. Needed it to remove “everything” so I could start over.

The latest ISO in staged is what it sounds like you are using. Yes noted, and passed along.

The staged directory is where we try to test before releasing to everyone. if you use staged, you are on your own.

edit:
when using the release version(s), please re-read the link on reporting stuff

So the installer medium is using zfs now???
That’s an interesting fact to know and could/would explain things.

So - just finished writing the 18.03 img file to the drive using win32 diskimager on the windows system. As you can see the system hasn’t crashed, it’s still running and I’m able to post this.
So it really it is the new format.
That’s good to know. But as dd-ing under trueos didn’t work without errors and also the download speed under trueos is only a fraction of the one I get using windows - no idea why that is, either - I guess I have to keep crashing my windows system until I get an install drive I actually can install trident with (having a working mouse, you know :slight_smile: ) - or wait for ghostbsd, or an update path from within trueos. :slight_smile:

Trueos, now Trident has always used ZFS.

network drivers are an issue that the trueos devs (not us) are aware of

Test run of the Trident beta-01

Again, not sure if you understand my posts correctly - and therefore not sure how to understand your posts…

I’m talking about the install medium using zfs now. Not the resulting installation / installed system.

Just to spell it out so that no misinterpretation can be happening anymore.

But your comment

just killed my interest in testing.

Apparently I misunderstood another comment of yours:

Because “IS” for me is “now / already” - otherwise I would assume it would say “will be”.

Anyway. Seems like there will be no beta testing for / by me. Because if there were an upgrade path from within trueos already (as in no install of any kind) trueos users would be reporting on it (or asking / discussing about it).

At least that’s my take for now.

Are they planning to have an unstable branch? If so do you know when that will be deployed for those of us with TureOS to upgrade too?

one branch. once initial release gets out the door, then weekly package updates.

Project Trident will follow the 6 month release schedule or trueos-base, but pulling ports weekly.