Can't install packages - says Forbidden

A little about me. I am a network admin on a small Windows network. My only *nix box is an old server running the latest FreeBSD release. I use it to scoop up firewall logs.

I run Ubuntu on one desktop computer and Lubuntu on a netbook.

I had tried PC-BSD several years ago, but didn’t stick with it. Last week, I installed TrueOS on a laptop. It went well. I successfully installed Remmina from AppCafe. But when I tried to install Firefox from AppCafe, I got this:

All repositories are up to date.
The following 4 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

New packages to be INSTALLED:
firefox: 53.0.2,1 [trueos-major]
startup-notification: 0.12_4 [trueos-major]
alsa-plugins: 1.1.1_1 [trueos-major]
alsa-lib: 1.1.2 [trueos-major]

Number of packages to be installed: 4

The process will require 130 MiB more space.
46 MiB to be downloaded.
pkg-static: http://pkg.cdn.trueos.org/master/amd64/All/firefox-53.0.2,1.txz: Forbidden

Note the last word. I have also tried to install other packages from AppCafe and from the command line, and get the same message. I must be missing something, but what?

STABLE or UNSTABLE?

Do you have enough hard drive space?

open a terminal and type --> sudo pkg install firfox

post the full error message here

What happens if you point a web browser at that directory? Do you see the firefox package? I’m not sure what protocol is being used to download the packages, but the Forbidden may be coming from something in between (firewall)

uname -a says:
12.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT #66 (trueos-stable)-dirty: Wed Jun 21 01:09:23 UTC 2017

df -h says:
Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
tank/ROOT/12.0-CURRENT-up-20171101_130711 140G 3.4G 137G 2% /

sudo pkg install firefox says:
Updating trueos-base repository catalogue…
trueos-base repository is up to date.
Updating trueos-major repository catalogue…
trueos-major repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
The following 4 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

New packages to be INSTALLED:
firefox: 53.0.2,1 [trueos-major]
startup-notification: 0.12_4 [trueos-major]
alsa-plugins: 1.1.1_1 [trueos-major]
alsa-lib: 1.1.2 [trueos-major]

Number of packages to be installed: 4

The process will require 130 MiB more space.
46 MiB to be downloaded.

Proceed with this action? [y/N]: y
pkg-static: http://pkg.cdn.trueos.org/master/amd64/All/firefox-53.0.2,1.txz: Forbidden

I don’t think the issue is with Firefox. I get the same Forbidden message with any package I try to install.

if you type in about in a terminal, the output of that command is often useful to the people in here that try to help.

Other things that might be useful: since this is a fresh install have you restarted this machine yet if so how many times? (I had to restart mine 3 times before it started working correctly). Have you installed the initial updates? What did you use to install it, a DVD or a Flash Drive? what did you use to burn a dvd? (I got bit by cdrecord) growisofs, dd? Is this a virtual machine on that laptop? Are you multi-booting? or is it a full disk install? Did you enable any firewall settings?.. Is your time and date correct?

Also “forbidden” in this particular instance means it’s a 403 error. You don’t have permissions to access that website which brings another question are you using TOR or any other proxy service?

These questions are all assuming that it’s not blocked by your firewall (not the one on TrueOS though) but you have in between you and the internet. That would be the first thing to check though.

“pkg-static” looks suspicious. Normally, it should be replaced by the non-static version.

Normally, the package updater does this as the first action before doing anything else, when it’s first used after installation.

Normally… This is why I asked about the restarts. This happened to me a while ago, before they moved to the every 6 month update, and it didn’t start working correctly until about the 3 restart, then I restarted the machine one more time for good measure. I started getting scared about a rolling release right, around that time. Then @Kris announced the every 6 month update model and I was relieved. I also put it on VirtualBox in PC-BSD before I made the jump and it was unfair because (at the time) TrueOS did not work very well in Virtual Box.

Many thanks for all the suggestions. If I don’t answer everyone, please don’t be offended. I downloaded the latest TrueOS .iso last Tuesday, and burned it to a DVD on my Windows 7 Pro workstation. I installed TrueOS on my laptop that day. I am performing automatic updates from the STABLE repository.

When I was trying to get Remmina to work, I made some changes to the firewall settings. That might have caused the issue I am having. Remmina was the first package I installed, and it installed normally.

I am composing this post on the TrueOS laptop:

===================
General information

boot environment now (N) … 12.0-CURRENT-up-20171101_130711 NR 2017-11-01
after restart ® … 12.0-CURRENT-up-20171101_130711 NR 2017-11-01
boot loader …………………………………… BSD
type ……………………… BIOS
CPU ………………………………………………………… Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz
number of cores ……………… 2
host ……………………………………………………… trueos-4743.procinc.local
memory ………………………………………………… 4096 MB available, 3122 MB free
OS git branch ……………………………………………………………………………………… trueos-stable
OS git revision ………………………………………………………………………………… ac2f0aa3b
OS kernel build time ………………………………………………………… Wed 2017 Jun 21 01:09:23 UTC
OS kernel identity …………………………………………… (uname -i) GENERIC
OS platform (architecture) ……………………… (uname -m) amd64
OS release level ………………………………………………… (uname -r) 12.0-CURRENT
OS version and patch level …… (freebsd-version) 12.0-CURRENT
TrueOS package set ………………… STABLE
TrueOS version …………………………… TrueOS-Desktop-201706210948
uptime ………………………………………………… 1:38
user …………………………………………………… system

More (TrueOS Desktop):

desktop environment …… Lumina
sound card driver ………… pcm0: <Sigmatel STAC9872AK (Analog)> (play/rec) default
wireless driver ……………… iwn0
X11 drivers ………………………… vesa_drv.so

And I reboot frequently. The laptop doesn’t come out of Suspend (no video) so I shut it off when not using it.

Sounds like you have a good place to start. I was also wonder what Remmina was so I looked it up. It looks interesting I still use Xrdesktop, but I might give that one a try.

I stopped the firewall service and tried to install Firefox. Got the same error as before - Forbidden. Will take laptop home and try from home this evening.

just for giggles, try

sudo pc-updatemanager confcheck
sudo pc-updatemanager syncconf
sudo pc-updatemanager pkgcheck

Well, I cracked it! Packages install just fine at home. Our corporate firewall was blocking the package downloads by a policy rule.

I ran the pc-updatemanager checks and all three came back clean, both at home and at work.

Thanks to all for their help. I had heard the FreeBSD community was awesome. Glad to be a part of it.

Glad it was something that simple.

Well, you said it was a firewall issue. I should have listened.