Can't find my NETWORK under INSIGHT

the other computer needs to have nfs as well. if not, the only option i can think of is trying to ssh into the other computer.

web search that info

Rod,

I was wanting to see any computers on my network easily with insight, the installed file browser, but I still don’t know to do this! I will be keeping my copy of true OS, it was easy to install, looks great, but I tried downlaoding a few files as well .exe files but I could not open them, making any none “command promp” installations impossible. So my visit to UNIX on this occasion is what we call short lived. :slight_smile:

Simple computer users like tend to rely on the software doing all the hard work…so this kind of network configuration and so on, just will not do!

I hope to chat again some time…now on to our story!

Looks like a Linux distro it will be…for me!

Best of luck!

PS - You may want to close this one off with some helpful hints for the True OS community Rod.

Unix is not for everyone my friend… If you want .exe’s doing everything for you, Unix derivatives like BSD or even BSD derivatives like TrueOS are not the place for you my friend.

It’s not a bad thing, I was in the same boat as you. I tried installing FreeBSD and it was the most terrible experience. Specially since Windows98SE at the time did everything for you. What is this slice thing?.. Is it like a partition? and why do I need slices?.. The questions abounded. I tried it every now and then, and could never get it to work. Finally got the FreeBSD bible and I got a little bit further but I still sucked.

It wasn’t until I found PC-BSD and it was sort of like FreeBSD with training wheels. Now I installed and ran FreeBSD without a problem, with the confidence and knowledge that I gained from using PC-BSD

Once again this might not be the right time for you to try this O.S. or it’s just simply not for you.
Only time will tell, anyway we wish you the best of luck my friend.

Ha ha ha!

Guys sorry but I get carried away sometimes! Just then installed a clean copy of Windows 10 on that beautiful server (ProLiant) that I was given some time ago! I’ve been wanting to try out Unix or even Linux. Turns out it’s valid for a free upgrade from Microsoft!

And about that network configuration problem… well it seems someone plugged me difectly into the cable modem, and I was thinking that I was still plugged into one of the switches that I have.

Anyways, thanks alot!

Lets just say I’m a lazy bugger!:wink:

Kane

Ok,

Here is where we are at now readers!

Turns out, the Windows 10 that I had thought that I had gotten was a temp version and requested that I register it. So need-less to say I had to install something else!

Now the giant dual-quad-core processors were begging for it, now that Windows 10 was no longer on the menu!

I really wanted to go Unix, as you know! And I was hoping it would be real easy “to get network access it files” with this True OS version of Unix, seeing how easy it is to install now and all…

But I could not get network access to my home network!

When I tried TrueOS it was suggested that I install apps like shh, and learn to use the “Terminal”, and basically I never quite figured out how to…“exactly” i.e. to get access to network files and folder.

Please note as well, that I also tried a few different Linux operating systems, and I would have you know that the requirement by the user to make network configurations varied quite a lot.

For instance the OS Zorin, which I have installed now, required nothing but the entry of “THE Default Configuration URL” would you believe, which is within the NETWORK SETTINGS for instance: “System Settings” -> “Network” -> “Proxy Settings”, and choose “Automatic” method in network proxy. Then type “file:///etc/proxy.pac” in configuration url field.

I found this URL to be like a “script if you will” one that allows the network to constantly check devices on the network automatically! Would you believe!

“So once entered, you will not have to enter any MAC address for instance, or specific IP address or any other information, nor would you need to map to a network folder either.”

“You know, like with the old manual entry days with Microsoft Windows, where you manually entered just about everything”

Note: This was my experience connecting to and existing Windows network!

I hope this was helpful!

Now on to our story!

PS - As this is the True OS Discourse site, if anyone has any further suggestions on how to easily gain access to network files on a existing home network, using “True OS”, please oblige. And help with network setup for other Unix versions as well, please…