Cannot install hp-plugin (scanner)

I’ve just recently switched to TrueOS from Linux and I must say, I think it is a most excellent OS and Desktop (Lumina). I have been using Debian as my workstation for a few years, Scribus/Inkscape/Gimp for desktop publishing in the printing industry. But I started to have some serious instability problems with systemd.

However, being new to TrueOS, I’ve still a few small details to sort out, so please bear with.

I want to make clear also that this hp printer/scanner is LAN, not usb.

I have tried to install the hp-plugin for xsane, first with the gui (when launching the xsane app), then with the terminal by using the hp-plugin command, (as user and root) but the download will not proceed and the install fails.

I have of course installed the hplip package first, and have opened ports in the firewall for xsane. Am I missing something else that I need to install?

Please advise, thanks.

Hi…

Same problem here!

After installing wget and gnugp I am so far:

INSTALLING PLUG-IN

Creating directory plugin_tmp
Verifying archive integrity… All good.
Uncompressing HPLIP 3.17.4 Plugin Self Extracting Archive…
eval: ./hplip-plugin-install: not found
error: Python gobject/dbus may be not installed

Done.

It would be great to have my Laserjet available on TrueOS!

How to continue?

Thx

have you attempted to install the hplip package?

sure!

Otherwise the hp-plugin command wouldnt work;)
Interestingly hplip does not pullin “wget” to download and “gnugp” to verify the plugin.

I keep getting the identical message in the terminal as rehcla, and have not, as yet installed “wget” or 'gnugp".

Would it be possible to get that hp-plugin somehow, and at the very least install it manually?

What DE are you using? With Lumina and default Desktop selection wget and gnupg are not installed, at least at my setup…

Greetings

I’m using Lumina as well.

I didn’t install “wget” or 'gnugp" in particular per se, however, after I went and checked out appcafe, they were in fact installed as well.

They must have been dependencies with other packages I’ve installed.

BTW, hp-plugin is available here: https://www.freshports.org/print/hplip-plugin/ but I don’t know how it could be installed in TrueOS. Neither do I see any reason why TrueOS wouldn’t have it readily available in their repository.

Scanner apps are useless without a plugin to access the scanner.

the hp-plugin command is present after installing hplip in Appcafe!

Yes it’s present for sure, but the problem still remains… it gets stuck and fails during the install process.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions how we may solve this?

So whats the last error message you see?

The last error message was “python gobject/dbus may be missing”.

I’ve been checking this out and found that the hplip “pkg” is only configured (as you already painfully know) for the printer only, fax and scanner functions are not, and cannot ever be available.

If you want full multifunctional capability you must install hplip from ports. I’ve installed this on GhostBSD (FreeBSD 10.3), and have full printer, fax and scanner functions. But I haven’t got around to trying it yet with TrueOS.

That is the problem and solution.

I am already accepting the fact that I probably have to buy a minimal system what will serve as cups server…
But last but not least, I could have investigated more and decided for a more *BSD friendly printer manufacture company;)

In my experience HP printers can be very FreeBSD/Linux friendly, my apologies for not making myself clear.

In this particular case as I mentioned above, the problem is that the regular hplip pkg that is installed through appcafe (or through the terminal for that matter) is incomplete for a multifunctional printer/fax/scanner. It is only capable for the print function only. That’s why you cannot install the hp-plugin.

Here:https://www.freshports.org/search.php?query=hplip&search=go&num=10&stype=name&method=match&deleted=excludedeleted&start=1&casesensitivity=caseinsensitive

But if you install hplip from FreeBSD through ports/src, the hplip application will be complete with full print/fax/scan control, usb or network.You will then be free to install the hp-plugin through ports as well.

As for first installing the FreeBSD ports/src in TrueOS, I really don’t know as of yet.

As long as you pull the TrueOS ports tree from github and use that (you really don’t want to use the FreeBSD ports tree), you should be able to build ports just fine. Just be aware that there is no integration of user-built ports and the pkg management so next time you update you may lose your changes.

Thanks for that information mer, just a few questions.

If you use the “portsnap fetch” command in TrueOS, would it fetch the TrueOS ports tree?

Also, are the src files available to install for TrueOS as well?

Please advise.

do not do that

go to https://www.TrueOS.org and look for the handbook.

Search using ports

portsnap will HOSE your system big time

You have answered more than one question there, because I installed TrueOS in the first place because I actually thought it was fully compatible with FreeBSD.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Well, the base of TrueOS is FreeBSD-12CURRENT plus modifications from the FreeBSD Desktop project over on GitHub. That work is slowly getting commited back to 12Current, so at some point in the future, TrueOS could be based on pure FreeBSD-12Current, but not yet.
But all of the good stuff from FreeBSD, say ZFS are fully compatible. I have a ZFS mirror for my home directory and user data that has been migrated from a FreeBSD 10-release system to a TrueOS system without any issues. Just needed to be careful with the datasets created on the default TrueOS install, but that was easy to resolve (zpool history, alternate mountpoints, import, all normal stuff). If you look past the OpenRC init system, TrueOS is FreeBSD.

Ports. The TrueOS ports tree is based on FreeBSD ports tree plus modifications. Two that jump out are OpenRC init scripts and use of LibreSSL instead of OpenSSL. Since both TrueOS base and TrueOS ports are over on GitHub, it’s just as easy to git clone from that instead of svn from FreeBSD.

Thanks for the details.

I have a working scanner for my office HP LaserJet m2727nf.
I have installed hplip via AppCafe and hplip-plugin via ports:
$ sudo portsnap fetch
$ cd /usr/ports/print/hplip-plugin
$ sudo make install

After rebooting the PC, Xsane can access the scanner.
Maurizio