Calendar question for Lumina 2.0

The one thing that (I think) is missing from the Lumina Calendar is Holidays. It would be nice to have maybe a different colour on the days that are Holidays, such as Valentines Day, Easter, Mothers Day, Father’s day, independence day,Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, etc… And maybe even a description of the Holiday when you hoover your mouse over that day.

Will something like this be included in Lumina 2.0?

That is interesting request, but not on the roadmap at all right now.
At the moment, the calendar that Lumina uses is just the stock QCalendarWidget from upstream Qt. Perhaps you could file a request with the upstream project? Otherwise it might be a little while before we can get around to writing our own custom calendar.

Opened an account their and filed a request… I doubt they will get around to it anytime soon (if at all), as I saw a lot of open requests… In any case it would be a nice thing to have, but not critical.

Typically calendars are used in different countries. Holidays are very national by nature and while it is interesting to know the holidays of a foreign country to understand why there is so low the traffic all of a sudden, you are most interested in the holidays relevant to yourself. So I don’t think the holidays of one nation hard coded into the calendar to be helpful. My preferred solution would be the capability to load an individual set of holidays into a calendar.

I agree with @RJules3, holidays are different from place to place, so I don’t think it makes sense to implement such a thing inside the widget itself.

If Lumina calendar can read ical feeds, there are many of them for holidays in different countries. It’s by far the most robust and open solution I’ve found, though it does require an Internet connection every once and a while. It also requires trust that the feed is correct, but that trust is fundamental to a holiday anyway.

Anyway, I’d say this is the better solution for this. It will for sure stop the eventual bug report that some holiday is missed. Or the request to show moon cycles or whatever.

I added a BUG REPORT more like a request with QT for the i18n locale

@Groot @beanpole135
I’m sorry guys, I’ve been on this subject before. But all this Lumina coding with its own file manager, media player, PDF-reader, calendar etc. feels a little like you’re trying to reinvent the wheel.
Why don’t you just take e.g. KDE stuff and adapt it to Lumina? KDE has a great file manager (Dolphin), PDF-reader (Okular), imagine viewer (Gwenview), calendar, media player (VLC - I know that’s not KDE) etc.

So I don’t understand why you put so much effort in reinventing the wheel, as it seems just because you can, when there are these great programs that you can “steal” (well, it’s no pirating since it’s open source)?
Instead you could put all energy into making TrueOS and Lumina to run as good as it possible can and port more open source programs to it.

I my self am using all those programs (not the calendar, don’t think that’s possible) inside TrueOS/Lumina that I think are way better than TrueOS’s/Lumina’s equivalents.

Sorry again, but I thought PC-BSD was better, although it was heavier for the system. But why not a combination with TrueOS/Lumina base and so to say the best of both worlds?

Last I want you to know that one of the main reasons I chose BSD over Linux, when I came over from the Windows-swamp, was because BSD felt more stable and genuine than the Linux mishmash.