Black screen after installing U5, old Intel graphic

doubt it. the vesa driver is a basic driver

I just did full wipe reinstall of U6, and I got black screen again.
xorg.conf is not present
rc.conf doesn’t have any information on kld, it only has network settings.

Right afterward I tried this again
https://discourse.trueos.org/t/2179
Modify /etc/rc.conf to change this line from:
kld_list=“i915kms”
while leaving xorg.conf as a blank file

black screen

then I tried
kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko" <— I double checked, this file does exist on my system
and leaving xorg.conf as blank file

black screen

deleting kld_list, and instead put in
kldload_i915=“YES”

I got vesa driver… but my xorg.conf is still a blank file.

Is there anything else I should try?

I think that’s a wrong statement on my part. The “YES” part only comes up with lines that have “[module name]_enable” in it, so

“[module name]_enable=“YES””

My test system has similar graphics (Chipset Intel 945GM, Intel Integrated Graphics GMA 950).

• The /etc/rc.conf does not contain any graphics module line. (Screen goes black during boot process if I put a line in to load i915kms.ko module.)
  • The /etc/X11/xorg.conf sets the driver to vesa.
  • Awakening from standby with lumina does not work (as in: screen stays black).

So, my conclusion is:

1. Live with not having a working standby on Trident (at least with Lumina).
  2. Use another BSD.
  3. Buy a new laptop.

I have been thinking about this question for a while. What was changed between TrueOS 18.03 and Trident 18.12 that caused intel i915kms display drivers to no longer work?

Was there any changes in the display functions of the operating system or was it the driver that was changed?

Is the intel driver that comes with trident a newer version than what was included in trueos? If this is true, can you tell me how to switch to the old one?

the main difference.

trueos 1803 was using FreeBSD 12.*

trueos/Trident 1812 is using FreeBSD 13.*

there is always ghostBSD to try as well

Can you reproduce with FreeBSD 12 and the latest 13 snapshot?
<URL:https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/releases/ISO-IMAGES/12.0/>
<URL:https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/ISO-IMAGES/13.0/>

As you test, make certain you grab copies of /var/log/Xorg.0.log and 
the output of "dmesg | grep drm"
John
groenveld@acm.org

So did freebsd change anything on their display functions? Or was it the intel driver that’s different?

ghostbsd actually works fine on my laptop with working intel driver, I forgot to mention that. I wonder if it would have helped if I mentioned this earlier. My gripe is that mate desktop is too barebone compare to lumina. The control panel doesn’t have all the tools I need, and I don’t know where to get those missing tools to complete the mate experience.

Project Trident follows the pcBSD/Trueos method. GhostBSD does things their way.

So not really sure what is different

Hi John, isn’t freebsd a pure terminal OS? How do I test the display with these? Never installed freebsd before, is the install procedure pure terminal as well?

Do you remember which version of intel driver comes with trueos 18.03? And can you tell me how to downgrade drivers? I’d like to give downgrading a try so I can narrow down the issue further.

No.
John
groenveld@acm.org

Instead of testing freebsd 12 vs 13 you could also test Trident Release (= freebsd 13) vs RC2 (= freebsd 12) (if that one is still on the download server, it used to be).

You almost certainly won't be able to downgrade to the binary i915kms 
and Xorg driver from TrueOS 18.03.
John
groenveld@acm.org

My guess is the OP's only hope is providing sufficient data for FreeBSD i915 developers
upstream to resolve the regression.
John
groenveld@acm.org

which kind of information would be useful?

Besides the Xorg.0.log files and dmesg outputs from FreeBSD 12 and 13, 
the FreeBSD i915 developers will likely need the output of 
pciconf -lv| grep -A3 '^vga'
John
groenveld@acm.org

Does an easier way exist get this information? Freebsd install takes a lot more time to get to the point where I can try this, and I am trying to avoid nondesktop operating systems.

Also, I can’t dmesg on my black screen setup. As you see in earlier messages, when I get black screen during normal boot, I cannot ctrl alt f1 to open tty. And if I go into single user mode, it wipes out dmesg from normal boots and only keeps information on the current single user boot.

If you have another computer on your network, you can ssh into your
laptop and copy /var/log/messages and /var/log/Xorg.0.log to /root
John
groenveld@acm.org

However, there are four i915kms modules in the Trident pkg repo.
Trident installs drm-current-kmod by default, but you might try the others.
# beadm create legacy
# beadm mount legacy /tmp/legacy
# pkg -r /tmp/legacy delete drm-current-kmod
# pkg -r /tmp/legacy install drm-legacy-kmod
# ee /tmp/legacy/etc/X11/xorg.conf
change the driver to intel
# beadm activate legacy
# shutdown -r now

John
groenveld@acm.org