Any issues to expect?

Hi all,

i was planning to switch from Linux to Unix on my laptop but the one thing which holds me back doing so is the question if i can expect any issues, problems with my system. To summarise, this is my system:

*MSI GE70-2PE
*Quad core Intel Core i7-4710HQ
*Kingston 16 GB RAM
*Intel 4th Gen. Integr. GPU/NVidia GeForce GTX860M
*Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2200/Intel Wireless 3160

Which problems can i encounter swithcing to TrueOS?

Thanks!

Nothing in that list jumps out at me as unsupported.
You will probably be fine.

I cannot confirm that that wireless card is suported. Where can it be checked?

Then I would say it’s bad news. :frowning:

I don’t think there are any wireless USB dongle’s that are supported by FreeBSD since they install a program in the computer, most of the time .exe. My solution is to use a wireless Wi-Fi dongle. The only physical contact it has with the computer is when I charge it by USB.

Actually, my laptop has support for a wireless modem where you insert a SIM-card. That would, if it works, eliminate the need of the external Wi-Fi dongle. But before I buy a modem I need to be sure somehow that it works . Anybody who knows or have tried to use an internal Wi-Fi modem with FreeBSD/TrueOS?
I have an Acer Aspire 1810TZ.

This is a link to wireless devices (including dongles) supported by FreeBSD None of the internal wireless cards on any of my laptops were on that list, so I bought a few of those, that were on that list to make sure they were supported on FreeBSD. I guess I could have bought an internal card that was on that list, but I chose the external dongle route.

I’m currently using a D-Link DWA-160 rev. A1. It works quite well for me.

I was using a TP-Link TL-WN725N. It was able to operate, but the performance was noticeably poor compared to the much older model I’m using now.

Intel Wifi 3160 is supported:

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=iwm&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+11.1-RELEASE+and+Ports

Guys,

Please don’t hijack my thread by starting an off-topic thread about wifi/usb dongle’s.

Thanks!

I guess @nomko is correct. Asked and answered by @beanpole, therefore this thread could be closed and considered solved.

All those looks to me like internal cards.

This is what I use and it works quite well: http://www.tp-link.se/products/details/cat-4692_M5250.html
It’s G3, not G4, but I can live with the slower speed when I’m out. At home I got a 100/100 fibre. I could upgrade it to 1000/1000, but I don’t need that, so why pay more? :wink:

Easy way to find out if card is supported is to start TrueOs installer and clicking on hardware icon bottom left. This will show you if devices are supported

Just because it’s detected doesn’t mean it’s supported. I have a Dell Latitude E5500. TrueOS recognized the internal wireless card and it even shows up, you can even configure it, but it doesn’t work. You’ll never get to any network resources via that wireless card. On the plus side the digital mouse pad works just fine. I don’t like using external mice on Laptops, so I usually use that one. The other laptops require an external mouse.

Talking about mouse pads or touch pads on laptops. I’m still happy every time I fire up the laptop that @beanpole135 taught how to turn off that dreadful tap-to-click function :heart_eyes: